Erectile dysfunction is a scourge for men. However, not a few men with erectile problems feel embarrassed and reluctant to consult a doctor, even though erectile dysfunction can be overcome if the cause is known.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse. There are 3 conditions that can be signs of erectile dysfunction, namely not being able to get an erection, being able to get an erection but only briefly, and lack of sex drive.
Various Things That Can Cause Erectile Dysfunction
Triggering a man’s sexual arousal to the occurrence of an erection is a process that is not simple. This process involves the brain, nerves, muscles, blood vessels, hormones, and emotions. Erectile dysfunction usually occurs if these things experience problems.
Here are some factors that can cause erectile dysfunction:
- Disease factors – In most cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. In addition, certain hormonal imbalances are also quite often the cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Psychological factors – The brain plays an important role in triggering an erection. Erection begins with sexual arousal when there is stimulation. However, sexual stimulation may have no effect if the man is experiencing stress, depression, anxiety, or other psychological problems.
- Drug factor – Although it can overcome the disease, some drugs have side effects in the form of erectile dysfunction, such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, prostate cancer drugs. In addition, the use of illegal drugs such as cocaine or marijuana can cause erectile dysfunction.
- Injury factors – Injury to the spine, pelvis, or penis, such as a broken penis, which causes nerve or blood vessel damage is a risk for erectile dysfunction. Injuries can be major injuries or minor injuries but occur repeatedly. An example is a minor injury to the base of the penis due to riding a bicycle for a long time. Even so, now many bicycles are designed specifically to avoid this risk.
- Medical treatment factors – One of the riskiest medical procedures to cause erectile dysfunction is surgery on the prostate and bladder
In addition, medical procedures on the brain, spine, and pelvis can also pose the same risk. Examples are radiation therapy for colon cancer and surgical removal of the colon.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Steps
Prolonged erectile dysfunction can cause harmonious relationships with partners to be disrupted and difficulty getting offspring. To overcome this, here are some ways you can do:
1. Healthy lifestyle changes
Improvements in a healthy lifestyle are known to significantly reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction. Therefore, start to implement healthy habits that include regular exercise, eating nutritious foods, and stopping smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages.
2. Use of medicine
Erectile dysfunction can also be treated with medications from a doctor, which include:
- Drugs taken to increase blood flow to the penis, for example Levitra
- Self-injected injection drug into the base of the penis
- Suppositories, which are inserted into the penis directly
- Hormonal drugs, such as testosterone, to treat a deficiency of this hormone
If erectile dysfunction is caused by psychological factors, such as stress or depression, your doctor may advise you to consult a psychologist. Proper psychotherapy is known to treat erectile dysfunction, even without medication.
Married men may also need joint marriage counseling with a psychologist. It is important to get tips on communication and better sexual behavior, so that erectile dysfunction does not have an impact on domestic harmony.
If a healthy lifestyle, medication, and psychotherapy still do not produce the expected results, your doctor may recommend surgery to treat erectile dysfunction.
If you experience erectile dysfunction, do not hesitate to consult an andrologist. Avoid looking for herbal or alternative treatments that are not necessarily safe and can actually cause penis damage.